You have written a great book
Or you are about to write a great book. Either way you have to create some buzz among the public before your book hits the bookstore shelves. If you wait till the book is published you have missed an important window to create that buzz you want and need for your book.
Building public awareness for your book is important and it needs to be done sooner than you think. Some book publishing experts feel that you need to start building the buzz at least one year before publication.
After all it is usually never too early t get people thinking About your book.
A timeline of ideas
#1. With 12 months to go before publication, it is a good idea to do two things. First, you should start building an email list. This gives you direct contact with your potential readers and book buyers. It also helps the people on that email list to get to know you.
#2. At the 6 month mark, you should expand your efforts to include the following ideas:
- Build awareness- tell people about the book, its theme, genre and more. Don’t forget to mention your plans for the book
- Keep your email list members informed- tell them about goals you have met, favorable comments it has been given, as well as letting them know when it will be published
- Publish excerpts- these always help get people interested in what you have written in other parts of the book. You can also do social media announcements.
#3. The 3 month mark brings out advanced copies of your book. You have options on how to use these copies to build that book buzz you desire:
- Send advanced copies to book bloggers- they can read the book and tell their readers about how good it is
- Send copies to reviewers- the same thing. Enlist the aid of those who review books for a living
- Write guest posts about your book- or do interviews with different bloggers or their podcasts
#4. The last month should see a frenzy of book buzz action and those ideas include:
- Hold a contest- give a few copies of your book away
- Send out emails to family, friends and your email list members reminding them of the approaching release date.
Some final words
These are only a few ideas to get you on the right path t building up book buzz for your latest novel or non-fiction work. If you get together with family, friends or spouse, it is possible you can come up with a lot more ideas to help the sale of your book.
The key is that the people have to be aware of the book and when it will be on the book store’s shelves. There are also plenty of websites that can help you out.